“Superstitious” must not be in an old truck owner’s vocabulary. Despite it being the 13th Annual Vintage Truck Show and the forecast predicting heavy showers, droves of showgoers poured onto the field across from Young’s Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs, Ohio, on August 2.
Text by Erin McCarty, Photos by Brad Bowling
Trucks came from far and wide—“Longest Distance Driven” winner Bill Ledsham traveled an impressive 1,620 miles from Saskatchewan, Canada in his 1951 International pickup. In addition to the generous representation from Ohio, owners from Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Illinois, New York, Wisconsin, Maryland, Manitoba, and Ontario comprised around 180 vintage vehicles on the field.
More spectators than any past show amassed into a teeming sea of humanity, eager to enjoy the trucks, music, and other festivities. Jubilation was contagious, and local bluegrass band Sawgrass, a perennial favorite of Vintage Truck shows, further heightened spirits and incited bouts of dancing with their sprightly melodies. Our videographer captured all the magic of the show, available for viewing now on our website, www.vintagetruckmagazine.com. He also interviewed a bunch of folks about their trucks, so look forward to seeing that footage on the website in the future.
Though dark clouds hung ominously throughout the entire show, sometimes punctuated with bursts of sunshine, rain never materialized, which someone pronounced was nothing short of a miracle. We’d like to believe luck was always on our side.
Thank you to everyone who came to the show. Your words of encouragement, your enthusiasm for vintage trucks, and your support of the magazine reward and inspire us. A wholehearted thank you goes to our co-sponsor, Young’s Jersey Dairy, for their instrumental collaboration and for never letting the ice cream run out.
We can never predict what kind of show we will have from year to year, but that is part of the fun. We hope to see you again next year for the 14th Annual Vintage Truck Show on Saturday, August 1, 2015.
2014 TROPHY WINNERS
- Editor’s Choice—1957 Fargo Sweptside William Armstrong & Patricia Godschalk of St. Catharines, Ontario (video here)
- People’s Choice—1955 Dodge Power Wagon Robert Whiteford of Bellwood, Pennsylvania (video here)
- Exhibitor’s Choice—1964 Dodge D100 Custom Jerry Turben of Kalamazoo, Michigan (video here)
- Ugliest Truck—1957 Dodge D200 Noel Carpenter of Union City, Indiana
- Oldest Truck Driven—1927 Ford Model T Ferd Rettke of Blanchester, Ohio
- Oldest Truck Trailered—1919 Chevrolet One-ton Cliff Edinger of Waynesville, Ohio
- Longest Distance Driven—1951 International L-120 Bill Ledsham of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (1,620 miles)
- Longest Distance Trailered—1940 International D-2 Terry Jacobs of Burnsville, Minnesota (825 miles) (video here)